What is it?
The Ordinary retinoid 2% in Squalane is an anti-aging serum that contains the anti-aging hero ingredient, Retinol. Available from most online beauty retailers. You can also grab a bottle from your local boots (if we are ever allowed out of the house again).
About the brand.
The Ordinary is the skincare brand that quite literally changed the beauty world forever.
As consumers, The Ordinary showed us that we could have proven, performing skincare ingredients that we didn’t need to take out a bank loan to purchase.
In addition, they explained what those ingredients did. They gave us the knowledge and information we desperately needed. We could now make much more informed purchasing decisions.
Whilst The Ordinary products are definitely cheap, do not let the price tag fool you. Some of their products out perform their high priced competitors, by a mile.
What does the brand have to say?
“This water-free solution contains a 2% concentration of an advanced retinoid active complex called Granactive Retinoid that has been shown to offer better results against multiple signs of aging than retinol without any of the irritation and drawbacks common with retinol.”
“Granactive Retinoid, an active technology from Grant Industries, is a solubilized system of Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate, a highly-advanced form of retinoid which is, in fact, a non-prescription ester of all-trans direct retinoic acid that offers a multi-fold better effect against signs of aging than retinol, retinyl palmitate and nearly all other forms of non-prescription retinoid.”
What do you need to know?
- What is it used for: An anti-aging serum, retinol is one of only two proven ingredients to reverse the signs of aging (the other being SPF). Retinol increases the production of collagen, reduces fine lines and wrinkles, increases cell turnover, and helps reduce pigmentation. Retinol is also a great ingredient to use for anyone who suffers from Acne.
- Consistency and Texture: Due to the addition of Squalane this is an oil consistency that is slightly heavy. For anyone adverse to oils, this product may not be for you.
- Does it play nice with other products: Sort of. You need to give it a good 20 minutes to sink in before you apply your moisturiser.
- Smelly?: Nope. Fragrance-free. No noticeable scent.
- Non-Comedogenic?: It most certainly is. This serum will not clog your pores.
- Any Irritation?: Retinol does come with irritation and side effects. With the addition of Squalane, this does limit irritation. I also have a couple of tips below that will help further.
Who is it for?
- Suitable for all skin types
- Great for anyone with acne, regular breakouts, and scarring.
- Basically for anyone looking to reverse aging.
Is there a cheaper alternative?
Is it worth the money?
Yes, yes and yes again.
What do we think?
Retinol is basically magic when it comes to aging. The benefits it provides for your skin are amazing. However, this does come at a price.
Retinol can be super drying to our skin and can cause some redness, irritation, and peeling. Whilst this does tend to subside, it is something to bear in mind.
Therefore, the clever folk at The Ordinary have added Squalane into the mix, known for its Moisturising and hydrating properties.
This does some-what counter-act the drying effects of the retinol.
This is a fantastic product for anyone looking to kick-start their anti-aging skincare routine.
My skin looks more youthful, plump, and even-toned. I highly recommend it.
Another must-have product from The Ordinary Brand.
Retinol is a fantastic ingredient, however, due to its potency, it should be used carefully. I recommend using only twice a week, to begin with. In addition, for anyone with sensitive skin, try applying the retinol over your moisturiser. This dilutes the potency a little and can reduce irritation whilst your skin becomes accustomed to the new ingredient.
To stay up to date with all the 2 minutes read reviews, sign up for my newsletter over on the homepage.
If this does not sound like it’s the one for you, don’t worry. I have another 2-minute read review here you may be interested in.
If you have any questions or fancy a chat you can contact me here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a lovely day.