What is it?
The Neostrata Illuminating serum is designed to illuminate and brighten. Priced at £65.00 for a 30ml bottle. You can get yours from LookFantastic or via the link below.
About the brand.
Neostrata is an innovative, Science-based brand that provides dermatologist-grade skincare products.
Founded by a couple of super clever doctors, they were the first to discover the amazing effects Glycolic acid can have on the skin.
The story behind this brand is really quite lovely and one of the reasons I love and trust Neostrata in general.
Here is the short story: Two doctors met, working together for over four decades, looking at ways to treat skin cancer and a whole host of other skin conditions. It is through this research that they discovered that Glycolic acid could seriously speed up the turnover of skin cells.
I won’t go into too much detail as none of us have time for that. What I will say is these guys know absolutely everything there is to know about skin. Their research was born from their need to help people.
Like I said, a lovely brand that you can trust.
What does the brand have to say?
“This light but powerful serum is designed to illuminate and brighten skin that is affected by hyperpigmentation caused by aging, hormonal fluctuations, and UV exposure.”
“It contains 5 potent brighteners formulated to help break up and reduce the appearance of pigmentation and discourage new dark spots.”
“It targets 7 pigment control systems to help even pigment by using ingredients that reduce tyrosinase and improve the look of discoloration.”
What do you need to know?
- What is it used for: A treatment serum to be used after cleansing and before moisturiser. To brighten, illuminate, and glow.
- Consistency and Texture: This is quite viscous and lightweight. It glides over the skin perfectly. Dries down quickly but it is slightly tacky on the skin.
- Does it play nice with other products: Yes, no issues to report. However, I only use it in the evening so I am unsure how it works under makeup.
- Smelly?: The Neostrata Illuminating Serum is fragrance-free. It does have a ‘clean’ scent to it. Nothing over-powering or offensive.
- Non-Comedogenic?: It most certainly is. This serum will not clog your pores.
- Any Irritation?: The Neostrata Illuminating serum contains a couple of ingredients that may cause some irritation. NeoGlucosamine, which is Neostrata’s own form of glycolic acid, could irritate your skin. In addition, it contains alcohol which again, may cause some irritation.
Who is it for?
- Suitable for all skin types. Sensitive skins, be wary
- Anyone suffering from dull skin.
- Anyone looking for a top-notch anti-aging serum.
Is there a cheaper alternative?
If you were to purchase a Vitamin C serum, Glycolic treatment, and some form of Niacinamide and cocktail them, you may get a similar result. Although I do find this doubtful. So no, I do not believe there is a cheaper alternative.
Is it worth the money?
A thousand times yes.
What do we think?
Where do I start!?
The Neostrata Illuminating serum and I, have been through a bit of a journey.
When I first used this serum several weeks ago, I was a bit underwhelmed. I didn’t like the tacky consistency and I experienced a little redness on my cheeks when I used it.
However, it did make my face feel soft. Yet, there are lots of skincare products that make my skin soft so was it worth me continuing use, when I may risk irritation and a skin reaction?
Thankfully, I decided to persevere. I only used it every other evening to be safe. The Neostrata website States that this serum can be used twice daily however since it contains Glycolic acid I wanted to steer on the side of caution.
Fast forward a couple of months and I can honestly say, I would throw one huge tantrum if Neostrata stopped making this serum. I really do not think I could like without it.
The difference in my skin when I have used it is something else. I wake to bright, even, and plumped skin like never before. No other serum has given me these results.
In addition some scarring is fading and I just have a healthy glow to my complexion.
I still do not use it every night and I really miss it on my nights off.
The Neostrata Illuminating serum has taught me a valuable lesson. Just because on first impressions, you may not get wowed by a skincare product, does not mean that it isn’t going to wow you at a later date. Stick with it. I am so glad I did.
Spend some time really working this serum into the skin, it helps reduce the tacky feeling. In addition, always wear SPF after use, due to the Glycolic Acid content which can make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
To stay up to date with all the 2 minutes read reviews, sign up for my newsletter over on the homepage.
If this does not sound like it’s the one for you, don’t worry. I have another 2-minute read review here you may be interested in.
If you have any questions or fancy a chat you can contact me here: [email protected].
Have a lovely day.